nurture the inner life
I've always wanted to change the world. With a great passion for peacebuilding, equality, and alleviating the suffering of others, I moved to Uganda in 2010. It's been a wild ride. I've worked across East Africa with street children and child prostitutes, with leadership development schools, advocating for women in leadership, and I've organized international gatherings for dialogue across division. Now, as I work toward my ideals with more experience under my belt and as I incorporate my added role as a mother, I have realized that peace begins with me. And you. Neither of us can change the world if we don't first change ourselves and I love passing on tools I've collected to do that work. Consider this story I heard nearly 10 years ago:
When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.
I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.
When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world.
-Unknown monk, 1100 A.D.
The work we do flows out of who we are
We work tirelessly for what we believe in. We serve, give, and pour out to others and to the world often at the expense of our own physical, emotional, and spiritual health. While this may seem noble, we can only give what we have. We need sustenance. We must care for ourselves, too. When our inner lives flourish, so will our work in the world.
Let me guide you in the important work of the inner life
Burnout, cynicism, and our own egos are real obstacles to our effectiveness in the world. I have worked with organizations and individuals across the belief and faith spectrum to do the work of the inner life, where these unwelcome visitors take root. I specialize in creating spaces and sharing simple and practical tools that guide you to access your own wisdom, ensuring that you continue to thrive, along with your work in the world.
Services For Organizations and groups
- Lead a workshop or retreat for your staff
- Advise your team on organizing a retreat or workshop for your staff
- Consult leadership on ways to incorporate soul care into your organizational culture
Sample workshop topics
- Changing your brain: how growth and change starts with your thoughts
- Toughness training: preparing for, living with, and recovering from stress
- Confronting limiting beliefs and fears: moving beyond the limits you set for yourself
- Emotional boundaries: preventing the emotional burdens of others from overwhelming your life and work
- Mindfulness and contemplative prayer: how ancient, but simple practices spur on our personal growth
- Team relationships: Enhancing relationships through personal sharing, deep listening, and tools for conflict resolution
Guidance For individuals
- Consultation for deepening a personal retreat. I give you personalized tools considering your needs and circumstances to ensure your personal time away is rich and fulfilling.
- Advise on ways to incorporate soul care in your life and work. Let's chat about what it will take to sustain your life and work. I can recommend practices that fit into your busy schedule and resonate with who you are and what you feel you most need.
- Guide a personal contemplative sit or workshop. I lead a meditation or a personalized workshop for you and/or a few friends, introducing you to tools and ideas for your own soul care.
Contact for pricing
Dani Walker Kreutter